This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Crockpot lemon chicken orzo soup recipe is healthy, super easy, and delicious. Come home to a steaming bowl of cozy soup!
This slow cooker chicken and orzo soup will come in handy this winter. It’s the perfect way to warm up with very little effort!
It’s also the perfect soup if you’re feeling under the weather. It’s comforting and the vitamin C from the lemon will help make you better again. 🙂
This is a soup that the whole family will love.
How to make lemon chicken orzo soup in the Crockpot
Add the chopped carrots, celery, chicken, chicken broth, vegetable broth (or water), garlic, basil, Italian, seasoning, and bay leaves to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Around 30 minutes prior to serving the soup, shred the chicken, and add the lemon juice, parsley, and orzo to the Crockpot.
I suggest stirring it every so often so the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
Oh, and Happy Halloween! Ok, so this isn’t a Halloween-themed recipe, but I’ll acknowledge the occasion anyway. 🙂
Do you have any plans tonight? Trick-or-treating or handing out candy? I’m guessing most people did their Halloween parties over the weekend since this year Halloween falls on a Tuesday.
I don’t party much (shocking!), so I did not attend any parties haha. I’m a ton of fun.
Back to the soup! You know how sometimes parsley is just a pretty garnish and doesn’t really make or break a dish?
Well, I highly recommend adding the parsley to this Greek lemon chicken orzo soup. Adding the parsley and lemon juice at the end really perks it up and takes this out of just-another-chicken-soup recipe territory.
This would also be a great recipe to serve after all that Halloween candy. 😉 Enjoy!
More chicken recipes you’ll love:
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Crockpot Cabbage Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Easy Chicken Stew
Will you make this slow cooker lemon chicken orzo soup?
Let me know in the comments below!
Crockpot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 2 large carrots peeled & sliced
- 2 sticks celery chopped finely
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth see note
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker except for the salt & pepper, lemon juice, parsley, and orzo. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, remove the bay leaves, shred the chicken with 2 forks, and add the lemon juice, parsley, and orzo to your slow cooker. Crank the heat up to high. I recommend stirring every 10 minutes or so because the orzo may stick to the bottom of the slow cooker otherwise. Once the orzo is tender, season the soup with salt & pepper as needed and serve.
- I like to use a combo of chicken broth and vegetable broth to build more flavor, but you could always sub the vegetable broth for more chicken broth if you don't have any.
- You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat (I'd use 6 of them in this recipe and keep the cooking time the same). If you're cooking this for the full 8 hours the chicken breasts may dry out a bit - you may want to considering using chicken thighs instead.
- If your chicken breasts are on the larger side and you're cooking it for 6 hours on low, you may want to use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure they're fully cooked.
- Want to make this on the stove? Try my Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
- This is the 7 quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.