This hummus crostini appetizer is super easy to throw together with garlic hummus, fresh parsley, and a balsamic drizzle. It's perfect for summer entertaining!
Need a crowd-pleasing appetizer with few ingredients? Try my Grape Jelly Meatballs.
Why you'll love it
You know when you have surprise guests and no time to plan anything? This fresh and easy hummus appetizer will save the day. It's got pantry ingredients and is ready in only 15 minutes, so you're all set for impressing company when they don't exactly announce their arrival!
This hummus baguette appetizer is actually one of my sister's creations, and it's sort of genius for how simple it is. The flavors just go so well together. She enjoys it as an appetizer or light meal, and it's vegetarian-friendly, making it a no-brainer for easy entertaining.
What you'll need
- Bread - get a good-quality baguette. I recommend hitting up your local bakery versus just picking up one from the grocery store.
- Hummus - in my opinion, the more garlicky the hummus, the better! But choose your favorite variety.
- Parsley - fresh Italian parsley brings a pop of freshness, so make sure to be generous
- Balsamic glaze - it's a little bit sweet, a little bit tangy, and a whole lot of delicious and one of my favorite things to pair with hummus
- You can make these a little bit ahead (like an hour at the very most), but I would add the balsamic glaze just before serving. Be aware the bread can go a bit soggy from the hummus if it sits too long!
- I use Nonna Pia's balsamic glaze. I just buy it from the grocery store where it's readily available, but feel free you use a different brand or try a homemade balsamic glaze/reduction if you prefer.
Substitutions and variations
- Try using different varieties of hummus if you want to change it up. For example, use half Beet Hummus and half regular hummus for a pretty spread for a dinner party!
- This recipe works best with flat or Italian parsley, but sub regular curly parsley if it's all you have on hand.
- You can definitely dress these up a bit if you want to. Add some sliced cherry tomatoes or even some olives. Thinly sliced fresh basil would also be delicious.
- Technically, crostini is toasted, but we're taking a shortcut, and I actually really like how the softer texture of the bread works here. You totally can toast the baguette slices if you prefer! Brush them with oil and throw them on the grill, toast them in the oven at 375F for 5-7 minutes, or even crisp them up in a skillet.
What to serve with this recipe
Leftovers and storage
- Once assembled, these open face sandwiches won't last forever. The hummus and bread will get a bit dry, so try to eat them fairly fast.
- I like to make just as many as I'll need. Since they're so simple to assemble, you can freshly make them again and again until your baguette is finished!
Questions about this last minute appetizer? Let me know in the comments below. As always, if you've made one of my recipes, tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Hummus Crostini Appetizer
- 12 slices baguette
- 1 (10 ounce) container garlic hummus use as needed
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or to taste
- Balsamic glaze to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Note: For this recipe the measurements are merely guidelines, and you can easily make more or fewer than 12 pieces. Slice the baguette and prep the other ingredients.
- Spread the hummus onto each slice, then sprinkle with the parsley (add a fairly generous amount... more than you would just for a garnish, for example). Season with some salt & pepper, then drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
- Technically, crostini is toasted. For this version, it is not, however. You can toast the baguette slices if you prefer. Brush them with oil and throw them on the grill or toast them in the oven (375F for 5-7 minutes) or even in a skillet.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.