This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chicken and cabbage stir fry recipe is fast and easy. The chicken is soft and tender, and the onions and cabbage melt in your mouth. It’s ready in just over half an hour!
Why you’ll love it
I based this chicken and cabbage recipe on my popular Sautéed Cabbage and Kielbasa Recipe. It’s cooked in a similar fashion, and it’s just as delicious! Since I grew up with plenty of Czech and central European food, it’s no wonder that I love cabbage so much. Somehow I don’t manage to eat it that often, though. I’m always so surprised at just how flavorful fried cabbage is. It’s so good.
Making chicken sautéed with cabbage is easy. You really don’t need much in the way of seasoning to make this recipe taste totally delicious. I used your standard mild paprika, some fresh garlic, and an onion along with salt & pepper. That’s about it for a quick and inexpensive meal with pantry ingredients!
What you’ll need
- Chicken – we’re using boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil and butter – for sautéing
- Onion – use whatever you’ve got on hand, but our kitchen likes sweet (Vidalia) onions best
- Cabbage – we use green cabbage here
- Garlic – if you’re a garlic lover, go ahead and use even more than I suggest. It’s effortless to mince with a garlic press since there is no chopping or peeling involved.
- Paprika – you’ll find mild paprika in the spice aisle of any grocery store
- You don’t have to be super precise with measurements here. I say a medium cabbage, but last time I made this, I bought half of a MASSIVE cabbage that I cut into half again, and that totaled about what you’d expect from a medium cabbage, so don’t worry about precisely measuring.
- Keep in mind there’s a lot of cabbage in here, so it’s important to add enough salt to draw out the flavors!
How to make chicken and cabbage stir fry
This is an overview, and full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a skillet, add the chicken to the olive oil. Season with salt & pepper, and sauté until it’s just done, then set it aside. Sauté the onion in butter for a few minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook, tossing or stirring frequently, for about 10-15 minutes or until it starts to get nice and tender. Kitchen tongs make it easy.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika, and finish by adding the chicken back it into the pan and heating it through to 165F. Give it a taste, add extra salt & pepper, and enjoy.
Substitutions and variations
- I don’t feel like this recipe needs anything else, but you could always swap the mild paprika for hot paprika or smoked paprika if you wish. If you want to add more paprika or garlic or whatever, go ahead. I suggest tasting and adjusting until it’s perfect for you!
- Want to make a vegetarian version of this dish? Try my Simple Sautéed Cabbage Recipe.
- You can always use chicken thighs if you prefer, but I find chicken breast is fine since we don’t overcook it. It remains juicy and tender.
- To make it next-level good, add in some crumbled Oven Cooked Bacon.
What to serve with chicken and cabbage
- It’s totally optional, but a dollop of sour cream adds a nice contrast and a little creaminess.
- As written, this is a low-carb chicken and cabbage recipe, but if that’s not your thing, pair it with something like rice to round out the meal.
- A side salad makes a great accompaniment too. Try mixed greens with my Creamy Balsamic Dressing. Craving roasted veggies? Go for my Easy Roasted Green Beans.
Leftovers and storage
- I actually quite enjoyed the leftovers too! The chicken was still tender, even after being microwaved the next day.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- I don’t really recommend freezing this one since the texture of the cabbage may change, but you’re welcome to experiment.
If you give this cabbage sautéed with chicken recipe a go, I’d love to hear from you in the comments below! Talk to me if the blog post didn’t answer your questions. You can also find me on Instagram.
Easy Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green cabbage cored & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil and chicken to a skillet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Turn the burner to medium-high heat and sauté for about 5-7 minutes (stirring fairly often), or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter and onion to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes uncovered, stirring fairly often, until the cabbage is nice and soft (or cooked to desired tenderness). The cabbage at the bottom of the pan will start to wilt after a few minutes and it will become easier to stir. The onions will also start to lightly brown and become more flavorful.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika.
- Add the chicken back in, and cook until it’s heated through, stirring fairly often. This should only take a few minutes.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper as needed (there’s a lot of cabbage so I used a fair amount of salt). Serve immediately.
- You can use smoked paprika or hot paprika if you prefer.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.