This zucchini pasta sauce is the perfect way to use up your summer zucchini harvest! It's easy to make, buttery, and totally delicious.
I have plenty of zucchini noodle recipes on here, but this is my first time posting a pasta recipe with a zucchini sauce. I wasn't even sure what to name this recipe, since searching for zucchini pasta comes up with zoodles! Hopefully those who are searching for a pasta sauce made from zucchini will actually find this recipe. 🙂
The zucchini just melts in your mouth. Zucchini, onions, garlic, and butter are an amazing combo. This is a simple pasta for lazy summer evenings. Enjoy it on your patio with a glass of white wine.
If you're lucky enough to have a garden with zucchini growing in it, this is the recipe for you. I know that it can sometimes be difficult to use it all up. I don't have that problem. This year we've had so much rain that our little plant pots with herbs and tomatoes haven't exactly done well, unfortunately.
How to make pasta with zucchini lemon garlic sauce
- Cook your pasta.
- Meanwhile, prep your ingredients.
- Sauté the onion until translucent (ok if it lightly browns for added flavor).
- Add in the zucchini, garlic, and seasoning, and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Finish the sauce by adding some chicken broth, butter, and the lemon juice.
- Stir in the fresh parm, toss with the pasta, and enjoy! (Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
Pro tip: Try replacing the chicken broth (half or all of it) with dry white wine!
This zucchini parmesan pasta is one of those forgiving recipes where it's easy enough to throw in some fresh garden herbs on or even other garden veggies that you want to use up. I haven't tested it, but fresh tomatoes could definitely be added in here, as an example.
Want to add some protein to this dish? Already cooked/rotisserie chicken or even some shrimp would be delicious.
More zucchini recipes you may like:
- Baked Balsamic Parmesan Zucchini
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad
- Zucchini with Onions
- 15 Minute Garlic Shrimp Zoodles
Will you give this fresh zucchini pasta sauce a try? Let me know! What's growing in your garden?
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Zucchini Pasta Sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta I used fettuccine
- 1.5 pounds zucchini diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken or veg broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a salted pot of water for your pasta. Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, chop the zucchini and prep your other ingredients.
- Add the olive oil and one tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining butter, chicken broth, and lemon juice to the pan. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes or so.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and toss with the drained pasta (add a splash of pasta water if you wish). Season with salt & pepper as needed and enjoy immediately.
- Zucchini sizing is pretty subjective, so I figured that including a weight would be the most useful thing to do. I used 3 small-to-medium zucchini totaling around 1.5 pounds. Anything around 1 lb. or so will work, but I wouldn't go less than that if you're feeding 4 people.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.