This tortellini with sausage recipe is a quick, easy, flavorful, and comforting dinner that's made all in one pan! Fewer dishes means more time to relax.
I really love the simplicity of this dish. Cheese tortellini is so versatile, and you can dress it up in so many ways.
I've been really loving cooking with Italian sausage these days. Not that it's a new revelation for me or anything, but I keep thinking up recipes that use it. It's one of my all-time favorite ingredients. Some of my best recipes are made with it, including this Creamy Tuscan Sausage Gnocchi (One Pan, 20 Minutes), my Spicy Italian Sausage Pasta, these Sausage Stuffed Peppers, and my Zuppa Toscana (Sausage, Bacon, Potato, and Kale Soup).
And there's quite a bit of spinach in here... it's a great way to sneak those greens into dinner. The spinach-sausage-tomato cream sauce combo is just so tasty. I went fairly light on the cream in this recipe, so it's definitely not too rich at all.
How to make this Italian sausage tortellini skillet
- Crumble the sausage meat into a skillet and brown it;
- Add the garlic, broth, tomatoes, cream, and tortellini to the pan; simmer until pasta is cooked and the sauce has reduced;
- Add in the spinach and cook until it wilts;
- Serve with freshly parmesan cheese if desired.
(full instructions are in the recipe card below)
You can definitely use hot Italian sausage if you want a little heat!
As I'm typing this up, it's just above freezing outside. And it's only September 27. Apparently it's supposed to snow in Calgary this weekend, but hopefully the snow will miss us. What the heck? I know I live in Canada and all, but it's TOO SOON.
More easy tortellini recipes you'll love:
- Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Cheese Tortellini with Butter, Mushrooms, and Crispy Sage
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup with Chicken
- Spinach Tortellini Salad
Will you give this tortellini with spinach and sausage recipe a try?
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
One Pan Tortellini with Sausage
- 10.6 ounces Italian sausages crumbled, see note
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Take the sausage meat out of the casings and crumble it into a skillet. Cook it over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until it's browned. Drain the fat and leave the sausage in the pan.
- Add the garlic, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, cream, and tortellini. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked and the sauce has reduced to your liking. Cooking the tortellini in the sauce helps thicken it (it releases starch).
- Stir in the spinach and let it wilt. Season with salt & pepper as needed and serve with fresh parmesan sprinkled over top.
- I used 3 sausages from a 5-pack of Johnsonville mild Italian sausages. Anything around 10.6 oz will work, or you can even use more sausage meat if you wish. Try hot Italian sausages if you want some heat!
- I do not recommend substituting the heavy cream because the acidity in the tomatoes will likely curdle milk or half-and-half.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.